Thursday 9 June 2011

4 days in Paris

Day 18


Arrived into Paris Charles de Gaulle and trained/metro-d into the city centre.
The hostel wasn't hard to find, I think I just came out the wrong exit and still followed the directions in the wrong way!! It's quite the shit hole. But it's all about the location, right in the city centre, and apparently most hostels are shit in Paris anyway.

I met Angie from Argentina and went for our first walk around the city. The Pantheon is just around the corner, and it leads to St Michel's fountain, and then to the Louvre. I couldn't believe I was standing in front if it!

Later in the night we grabbed a pizza together, and missioned it home. It took over an hour as we got severely lost!

We then experienced the worst night ever in a hostel!! 2 noisy Mexican couples arrive home after 2.30am, just as we had jumped into bed. The most inconsiderate people ever. I'm talking lights on, loud talking, packing bags (plastic bags), un-packing bags, brushing teeth in the stupid little sink, and then finally after about and hour, they go to sleep. At 6.45am they get up, and do it all again – well a for bit longer in the morning? I don't understand!!! BAD.





Day 19



3 hours of sleep.
Angie and I had decided to go on a free walking tour. The queues to get on the tour alone were ridiculously long and we just made it!
Our tour guide Tyler told us a bit about French history, Napoleon and the architecture.
I wish I had learnt more in school about the history of a lot of the places I’ve been to. I also wish I knew back then that it is actually interesting and I should read, and actually pay attention!


The city is so alive and beautiful.

Back in our hostel I met Nate from Hawaii (conveniently I had to move rooms) and we start a trek to the Eiffel Tower. I'd been told it lights up on the hour every hour after sundown. The walk took about an hour, again getting lost in the Labyrinth of streets.
It's pretty crazy standing next to the Eiffel Tower, very surreal. 





Day 20


The day of the longest walk. I got up after a much needed good sleep, and decided to go to the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower. I started off at about 9.30am, and hiked to the Louvre and spent about 3 hours walking the halls checking everything out. You really need a couple of days and a very openly artistic mind to survive it all. It is beautiful, but it's very full on.

The Mona Lisa was gorgeous, as expected it was in its own room, and very small. I pushed my way through the crowd and got my 20 seconds with Mona. Great.

I then walked the whole Avenue Des Champs-Elysees to the Arch de Triumph, and took an extra long walk round to the Eiffel Tower. The view over the grassy Avenues from the Mhusee de l Homme is spectacular. Again, Bag boys litter the streets.

The queues weren't as bad as I thought they would be, about an hour to get up to the 2nd level, and an extra 45 mins to the top. I'm surprised at how cheap Paris is, in terms of sight seeing. I was expecting a lot more than 10 Euros each for pretty much everything.

The views were stunning!


I tubed back to the Hostel so I wouldn't get lost again, and had a few drink with 3 very young Aussie girls before they went out into town.


Day 20


I get to see a familiar face today! Mark (who I met in San Sebastian a few weeks back) and his mate Chris were hanging out on the Right bank, so I tubed over to Mont Mark to meet up with them.

At the summit stands the Basilica of the Sacre Coeur, its beautiful and holds a different view over the city. We chill out for a while, watching the bag boys and friendship bracelet boys trying to win over the tourists.

The area is well known for Art back in the day. Now, artists are scattered around the street painting views of Paris, and others are asking everyone and anyone to have their portrait painted.

We then had a drink at a sweet little cafe overlooking a rather steep street, I broke my flip flop and have to buy replacements – the only thing around, some rip off Havaianas. And boy do they squeak! 

Mark had heard of a park not far away...turned out to take 1 hour to get to as opposed to the 15 mins we thought....although we really saw some of Paris's dirty side, out in the back streets of the suburbs.
The park was pretty cool with a pavilion at the top of a hill and surrounded by a lake.

Modern Art museum is free on Sunday's, but were too hungry to look around, so started a new mission to find food. We just so happened to stumble into possibly the richest area of Paris! The prices of most cafés and restaurants exceeded our budget by over double, and the streets were full of ridiculously beautiful cars.

In the end we settled for a baguette with cheese, ham and tomato near the Louvre, and I caught the tube back home as my legs were aching big time after the last couple of days adventures and hours of walking.

The weather changed so fast into this massive electrical storm, and our crusty backpackers decided to leak all over one side of the room. Brilliant. It was nearly flooded...Great end to that shitty Hostel!!!!! Don't go to 'Young and Happy' Hostel!! EVER!!!

But yes. I do Love Paris!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment