Wednesday 1 June 2011

So, I'm in Portugal.

Day 13
Lisboa

I sat next to this Portuguese guy on the plane, who thought he was gods gift. To be fair, he was pretty good looking, but also had the most smelliest breath I think I've ever smelt. It was worse when he fell asleep with his mouth open. Nice.

Luckily I am reasonably fit, as Lisbon is built on hills, and trying to find 'Lisbon Poets Hostel' was a work out in itself. The Hostel is amazing, the best by far, so clean, friendliest staff, great kitchen, sweet lounge area, the bedroom is wicked, just really good quality through and through. I liked it so much I booked another night, and 2 more in Porto under the same branch.

I got in late, so spent the night chilling out in the lounge with a lovely bottle of Portuguese Red fruity wine, and sat in the lounge with pretty much everyone staying there. The Barcelona VS Man United soccer game was on. It's safe to say Man U got thrashed! 

I met my room mates, Tato, from Japan, Vilijus from Lithuania and Max from Germany. Great lot! Max and Genuine (Villy) didn't come home until about 6, and 8.30 the next morning! 


Day 14


Since travelling alone, I actually haven't done anything by myself...so today I make a point of getting some Gina time in, and take off on what I thought would be a relaxed tram ride to explore 'Belem'.
It turns out every man and his dog want to go to Belem today, so many, that we are literally stuck together in the tram, packed in, and I feel terribly claustrophobic.

We 'un-stick' ourselves and hop off at Belem, and set eyes on the fantastic view of the huge monastery 'Mosteiro dos Jeronimo', flooded with tourists taking advantage of the free entry to museums on Sundays.
The Modern Art museum was holding 'BesPhoto 2011'. It was quite a good exhibition, and I took my time walking around.

I could see 'Torre de Belem' in the distance, and the streets were ridiculously packed with pink ladies doing the 'Walk for Breast Cancer'.
The tower is really cool, another 16th century fortress, Lisbon's most photogenic landmark.
I wait in the stupidly long queues to check out the view over the Tagus estuary, and spot the 'Discoveries Monument.


Back in Lisbon again, I find a random Police museum that holds fantastic views out of the window and into the roofless church that was totally destroyed in 1755. Right next to it stands a tall tower
with the best views over city.



This city is so pretty, even the graffiti is cool to see everywhere, its so much different than N.Z, it holds a strange personality. Lively, people everywhere and each corner you turn something is happening. The streets a relatively clean, although there are some beggars.


I take the old tram up to the castle 'Castelo de San Jorge' and wander around its winding streets.


That's plenty sightseeing for today. Time for a drink out with the guys :)



Day 15


We were supposed to go to Sintra, but the weather wasn't on our side and neither were the train staff, as they were striking again.
I met Gemma, an Aussie girl who lives in Germany, and we met up with the guys down in the Rialto, and then  stroll up to the Cathedral and Castle, checking out the graffiti along the way, taking random photos. The boys were well keen for a photo shoot and it was a right laugh!
Had a lemon beer at a wee bar and then I went back to make lunch.


I randomly got on the Metro to try and find this one building I had seen on the way from the airport, but apparently it's not where I thought it was so I wasted an hour or so walking through the rain. I did however find another couple of run down buildings with heavy graffiti, and then went to Olypmia, where all the buildings are brand spanking new and very warped.


Dinner time! I meet everyone back at the hostel, and have a much needed stir-fry with heaps of veggies. We go out for a night time stroll which turns into an evening of Heineken at this one lovely bar.




1 comment:

  1. Gina! It looks like you're having the raddest time ever!
    xoxo Miss you lots!
    Love, Athina

    ReplyDelete